Armitage History: Originally, the community of Armitage grew up on either side of Yonge Street at the intersection of Mulock Drive. It was named after Amos Armitage, its first settler, and a member of Timothy Roger's party of Quakers. The best-known family, however, was that of Sir William Mulock, who was a Member of Parliament for York North in the House of Commons from 1882 until 1905.
Newmarket York Region
At one time Armitage had its own schoolhouse, post office (1904-1971), Quaker Meeting House, cemetary, tavern, dance hall, gas station and Nataniel Gamble's inn at the southwest corner of Yonge and Mulock.
Today, these vestiges of the past are gone like the radial railway, but the Armitage name is remembered by Armitage Village Public School on Savage Road and the Armitage Village Child Care.
Armitage Real Estate
Armitage Real Estate: This neighbourhood has mature trees and provides an inviting atmosphere. There are condo townhomes close to Yonge Street on Caribou Valley Circle, Playter Crescent and Caradonna Crescent, freehold towns on Shanahan Boulevard and semi-detached homes on Widdifield Avenue. The rest of the offerings are mostly detached homes of varying prices on streets radiating out from Savage Road. Many on the eastern fringe back onto green space such as Bailey Ecological Park, Paul Semple Park and the Nokiidaa Trail/Tom Taylor Trail along the East Branch of the Holland River.
Carter, Robert Terence, Stories Of Newmarket: an old Ontario town, Dundurn Press, Toronto, 2011.