Pottageville History:Pottageville lies at the corner of Lloydtown-Aurora Road and Concession 7. The name comes from Edward Pottage who owned 100 acres of land on the southeast corner from 1844-1879. Because of the abundance of forests, two sawmills were built just north of the main corner. The Cedarville Mill on the west side of Concession 7 was the first permanent sawmill in King Township, and operated until 1937. Alfred Lloyd operated the sawmill on the other side of the road.
In the early days there was a hotel, a blacksmith shop, tannery, general store, Temperance Hall, post office and a barrel-making business. In time the hotel burned down, and the businesses closed, leaving a quiet hamlet.
The postmaster, George N. Munshaw operated the post office from 1876 to 1887. Local mail at that time arrived by stagecoach. The post office opened again from 1889 to 1900, and, finally, from 1906 to 1918 when rural mail delivery began.
Religion thrived here at one time, too. Pottageville United Church was built in the early 1880's, and operated until 1966. The Second King Baptist Church was built on the Eighteenth Sideroad in 1848, and 125 years of continuous service was celebrated there in 1973.
The first Pottageville school, S.S. No. 13 was built in 1856, replaced in 1962, and closed in 1971 with students then attending class in Kettleby.
King, York Region
Pottageville Real Estate:In the 1960's and 1970's the quiet hamlet began to change with the building of more modern detached homes. The main location was the area at the southeast corner of the main intersection along streets like Cook Drive, Archibald Road and Armstrong Crescent. Today, newer homes are gradually replacing the older homes along the Lloydtown-Aurora Road and Concession 7.
The newest additions to real estate in Pottageville are the homes on Edward Pottage Crescent west of Concession 7 and the residential estate subdivision of Carrying Place Estates on Weston Road north of the Lloydtown-Aurora Road. Basically, this well-known enclave follows Carrying Place Trail, Brule Trail and Hodgson Crescent on the east side of Weston Road.
It would seem that only time stands in the way of more development here. This development would probably be along the line of estate lots or homes on large lots to accommodate sanitary sewage systems and wells that are necessary, now, throughout the hamlet.
Carrying Place Estates
King, York Region
Gillham, Elizabeth McClure, Early Settlements of King Township, Ontario, Hunter Rose Company, Canada, 1975.