Sharon History: Many of the early residents of Sharon were United Empire Loyalists from Pennsylvania. One was David Willson, a student of the Bible, who settled on Lot 10, Concession 2 in 1803. His speeches and teachings attracted a group of religious followers who, eventually, became known as "Davidites", and, finally, the Children of Peace. The construction of their Temple in the Village of Hope, later Davidtown, began in 1825 and was, finally, completed in 1832. Ebenezer Doan oversaw the construction. Today the Sharon Temple is a well-known East Gwillimbury focal point and a national historic site.
Sharon East Gwillimbury
Sharon Hills Park
In the early days of the Village the residents had to cope with muddy trails or no trails at all. The winter of 1867-68 brought 125 inches of snow. Bears, deer, wolves and beavers were common. Even today bears have been sighted in Uxbridge, and beavers still inhabit the stream crossing Leslie Street just north of Green Lane East. Other hardships or burdens endured by the community were cholera in 1832, typhoid fever in 1847, diptheria in 1833 and 1858 and smallpox in the 1850's. Still more aggravation came from the prevalence of liquor from 1829 on. To combat the use of alcohol, a temperance hall was occupied in 1852, and regular meetings were held, eventually leading to the enactment of temperance laws.
Early days in Sharon saw the rise of local businesses and professions. Peter Rowen operated a wagon, carriage and sleigh shop in 1856, Samuel Lount was a blacksmith in 1837, Charles Haines had a boot shop in 1861, J. W. Edmund ran a general store, and John D. Graham was a piano tuner. Doctor D. Moore was a physician in 1852, E. C. Edmunds was a dentist in 1857 as well as Doctor Peck in 1864. Names of early residents like Doan, Weddel, Amos, Haines, Fairbarn, Parnham and Selby had land holdings and farms, and are remembered either by the early Town records or by their ancestors who still live in the community.
Sharon Real Estate: In 2012, there were approximately 23,000 residents in the neighbourhoods of Sharon, Holland Landing and River Drive Park, Queensville, Mount Albert and Rural East Gwillimbury. The population is projected to grow to almost 88,000 by 2031. It is expected that the population of Sharon will increase to about 9,200 by 2026 under the Sharon Community Plan (OPA 122). Much of this growth will be seen with the new neighbourhoods of Sharon Village.
Sharon East Gwillimbury Homes Houses
Sharon Heritage Village District
Applications have been submitted by eight developers, including Ashley Park, West Sharon Holdings Inc., Delmark Investments Company Ltd., Wycliffe Thornridge Sharon Limited and Sharonvit Estates Inc. As of July, 2010, six draft plans of subdivision had been submitted by the Sharon Village Landowners Group, with requests for 1279 single detached dwellings, 130 semi-detached homes, 330 townhomes and a medium density block to allow for 200 senior's apartments all requiring architectural control guidelines. Ashley Park Developments (Sharon) Inc., has, since, submitted an application for 118 townhomes and five single detached homes.
The new conceptual development vision for Sharon Village includes single detached homes with frontages from 9.25 metres to 21.0 metres, freehold and condominium townhouses and lane townhouses, semi-detached homes, low-rise seniors housing, schools and commercial buildings. These properties will begin just north of Mount Albert Road mostly on the west side of Leslie Street, and flow southwards to the Sharon Public School. More development will, eventually, take place on the north side of Green Lane East as new applications are submitted and, ultimately, approved.
As well, a north-south collector road will link the newer neighbourhoods, and a trail system will provide links for pedestrians and cyclists to the countryside as well as the newer and older neighbourhoods.
Existing subdivisions include Brenner-built homes on the north side of Mount Albert Road along streets like Sharon Boulevard, Veronica Crescent, Ramsden Crescent, Tate Court and Donlands Avenue.This community will complement the existing Sharon neighbourhoods with special design consideration being given to preserving the essential character of the Leslie Street Heritage District corridor which includes the Sharon Temple and heritage and century homes as well as other important Sharon amenities including the East Gwillimbury Town Hall, St. James the Apostle Anglican Church of Canada, the Kingdom Hall, the Sharon-Hope United Church and Vinces Market.
An older original subdivision at the south-east corner of Mount Albert Road and Leslie Street saw growth on streets like Jennifer Crescent and William Street.
David Willson Trail
Detached Homes Houses
Sharon Hills to the south was developed by William James Corcoran on lots of one-quarter to one-third of an acre, also, for septic tank systems. Today, streets like Colonel Wayling Boulevard, Willow Grove Boulevard, Howard Avenue, Jessie Crescent, Arthur Hall Drive and Maplehyrn Avenue access lovely bungalows and 2-storey detached homes that are sought after by buyers and sellers looking for exciting properties to own.
The Village of Sharon has, always, had a great reputation for better lifestyle living, a reputation that will continue to grow once "Sharon Village" is approved and new home construction begins again.
East Gwillimbury in the Nineteenth Century, A Centennial History of the Township of East Gwillimbury, Gladys M. Rolling, The Ryerson Press, 1967.