King City History:Originally called Springhill because of the many springs in the village, the name was changed to King, and finally to King City on January 1, 1971.
In 1853, the Northern Railway passed through the hamlet which had a population of about 120. King Station was built, then, on the south side of the present Station Road, and a community began to grow around it. This collection of properties eventually merged with Springhill at the now main intersection of Keele Street and King Road to form the Village of King.
Hogan's Hotel was built by Isaac Dennis who already had a hotel on Station Road. His daughter and her husband John Hogan were the first hosts. In 1900, George Phillips from Kleinburg bought the hotel. He started a horse-drawn bus service between the railway station and the hotel for returning shoppers and travellers with their luggage who needed overnight accomodation. Hogan's Inn is now a well-known restaurant in York Region.
Estate Residential Homes Houses
King City, York Region
In 1873, the first school was built in the hamlet. Then, the students did not have to attend classes in Kinghorn or Eversley.
On May 15, 1890, the building of board sidewalks was considered at a town meeting with homeowners to pay for the costs.
In 1898, King Township Council considered naming of the streets at the east end of the village.
In 1907, a gas plant was constructed on the north side of King Sideroad to supply gas for the lamps on the village streets.
In 1924, King City obtained electric power, and on February 9, the oldest resident of the village, Mrs. John Hogan, officially turned the lights on.
In 1905, a sub-branch of the Ontario Bank in Aurora began business on Main Street, now King Road. The first bank in the hamlet had a population of about 200 to draw from.
Waterworks were installed in the village in 1947, and King City began to grow at a much quicker pace.
King's Ridge Homes
King City, York Region
Estate Homes King City
King City Real Estate:When the sanitary sewer system began, and the Ontario Municipal Board persuaded the town officials that new construction was necessary, the classic small town with its century and heritage homes, farms and equestrian lifestyle began to give way to new, modern homes to attract a broader range of buyers and investors. One only has to travel along King Road from Richmond Hill to see the new subdivisions such as King's Ridge Homes east of Keele Street and the Royal Collection west of Keele Street. Here detached homes take their place alongside townhomes and linked homes. The styles and elevations easily attract buyers looking for a more upbeat lifestyle.
King Heights Homes
Springhill Gardens Homes Houses
King City, York Region
The older homes of Springhill Gardens off Warren Road are still as attractive as always with their mature neighbourhood and larger lots, as are the larger homes of King Heights off McClure Drive on the west side of Keele Street.
The first condo building, "The Residences of Spring Hill" at 80 Burns Boulevard is now a reality, as is the larger luxury home development of King Oaks south of King Road on the east side of Keele Street. These homes can now attempt to rival the Kingscross Estates subdivision with its large lots and impressive facades.
The culture of real estate in King City is changing rapidly. Its main challenge, now, is to keep an attractive blend of old and new in its ongoing push to promote new development.
Gillham, Elizabeth McClure, Early Settlements of King Township, Ontario, Hunter Rose Company, Canada, 1975.
Century 21 Heritage Group Ltd., Brokerage, independently owned & operated
MLS®, REALTOR®, and the associated logos are trademarks of The Canadian Real Estate Association.
The listing content on this website is protected by copyright and other laws, and is intended solely for the private, non-commercial use by individuals. Any other
reproduction, distribution or use of the content, in whole or in part, is specifically forbidden. The prohibited uses include commercial use, "screen scraping",
"database scraping", and any other activity intended to collect, store, reorganize or manipulate data on the pages produced by or displayed on this website.
The information contained on this site is based in whole or in part on information provided by members of The Canadian Real Estate Association, who are responsible for
its accuracy. CREA reproduces and distributes this information as a service for its members and assumes no responsibility for its accuracy.
This website is operated by a brokerage or sales person who is a member of The Canadian Real Estate Association.
REALTOR®, REALTORS®, and the REALTOR® logo are certification marks that are owned by REALTOR® Canada Inc. and licensed exclusively to The Canadian Real
Estate Association (CREA). These certification marks identify real estate professionals who are members of CREA and who must abide by CREA's By-Laws, Rules and the
REALTOR® Code. The MLS® trademark and the MLS® logo are owned by CREA and identify the quality of services provided by real estate professionals who are
members of CREA.
The trademarks MLS®, Multiple Listing Service®, and the associated logos identify professional services rendered by REALTOR® members of CREA to effect the
purchase, sale and lease of real estate as part of a cooperative selling system. Canadian Real Estate Association Last Updated: 8/17/2019 01:13:33 AM